Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vive la Facebook!

Politics. Something I dread to talk about. I think that’s why I’ve procrastinated writing on this topic for so long. I have opinions yes, but not ones strong enough I feel that I can voice. I guess I’m kind of a laid back person that isn’t interested in participating in debate. Therefore the topic of the influence of Internet on political movements and such kind of bore me…?

Where to begin…I guess it does make sense to me how social sites on the Internet are becoming very influential to different aspects of politics. What’s the reason for this? I think it’s because it’s so easily accessible to all (at least if you have access to a computer or phone that connects to the Internet). It allows those wanting to get together to connect and plan without too much effort. I mean how were demonstrations formed before Internet? Maybe putting up posters or ads? This doesn’t guarantee those interested will see them. I can’t think of any other sensible way to get people together besides maybe mass calling people. Putting information up on Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking sites lets those looking for something find it much easier.

However this has a drawback as well. If everyone can see it, then those that wish to stop such actions may take proper measures. The article on the demonstration in Egypt greatly shows this. I really feel this isn’t right! If they’re not trying to harm anyone let them protest! I probably have this mentality because I’m from America (freedom of speech and everything).

I guess in the end social networking sites are only going to become more and more important in forming dissents and such in countries such as Iran and Egypt. Unless a better system of censorship or something along those lines is created for them I don’t see any way of this stopping.

I hope I don’t sound too naïve in this post. Political dissent and demonstrations aren’t exactly my forte. I know there are probably tons her in the US as well, but I’ve never really investigated this in any way. Toodles.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there are lots and lots of countries where open displays of political dissent are simply not tolerated. Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, Pakistan. You're right, though, that it is very hard for authoritarian governments in places like these to "filter out" dissident content on social networking sites. The best they can do is block access to them altogether, as Pakistan did recently. But with so much online commerce and conversation taking place via sites like Facebook, this could have serious negative consequences for the countries that chose the total censorship route.

    ReplyDelete