Sunday, May 2, 2010

Orange Is What's In


This weekend was prom back at my old high school. Me, being the Facebook creeper that I am, decided I needed to check out some of my old friends' pictures to see everybody's dresses! It was great to get to see them all having fun in the pictures, but I noticed one horrible difference from when I had seen them last. A lot of them were orange. By this I'm not commenting that the lighting had changed their skin color or their make-up was a shade of orange. Instead I meant that they had tanned so much that they literally looked completely orange, resembling an oompa-loompa. Is this a new trend? It this what's in? It's hard to believe that back in the day it was considered more appealing for a woman to be pale than tan because it meant that she was more likely to have money and did not have to work outdoors. Nowadays I guess it's more appealing to have skin cancer and look leathery. I'm not being the person who is picking on people that use tanning beds. I use one every once and a while too! However, the big difference is that I am not orange. Please, someone needs to be telling not only the younger kids, but even some of the people in college...orange does not look trendy. It looks oompa-loompa-ish.

Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. Is it not sad that our society now deems the "tan" colour as standard and all else, lacking? As I am Puerto Rican and Hawaiian, I have never truly needed a tan and thus, I cannot understand the obsession with looking like I just got back from the beach. Is everybody going surfing in the USA? No. Sadly, these tans aren't even real. While our society will continue to pursue the orange, "oompa-loompa-ish" skin fad for some time, I wonder if we will stop getting real tans altogether and continue to mass-produce our new skin colour.

    ReplyDelete