Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Real Internet Use In College

I sat down this afternoon to begin my homework reading for classes...opened up Firefox...hit my Facebook bookmark...and it went downhill from there. I've started to observe the habits of my roommate, floor mates, friends, and even myself. The reason so much procrastination happens is clearly all the entertainment sites that are out there. Looking at all my bookmarked sites right now; six of them are for schoolwork/life sites. The other fifteen of the total twenty-one are for sites to waste time and what not. Icanhascheezburger, mylifeisaverage, Raphsody...these are just a few of my many distracting bookmarks. This makes me wonder: how much time have I already wasted in my college time exploring these sites that won't help me succeed in life? I could have been getting better at actual useful talents. I almost want to experiment by trying to go a week without visiting any of these sites, but I know they have become a part of my everyday routine! I know I'm not the only one either. Someone out there should try it and let me know. How has the availability of these sites effected students? I'd like to know how college students were entertained before the Internet! I mean I realize there's always tv, movies, radio and others...but what about even before that? I guess my realization of today is how much the Internet not only has changed homework, research, and other scholarly pursuits, but also the way procrastination happens.

Off to attempt actually reading now...toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment